Thursday, October 05, 2006

Post and Future Calvinism

Been ruminating on the one and only issue that has ever caused me to question my faith - the Calvinist TULIP. It started when I saw the article in CT, Young Restless and Reformed a couple of weeks ago. It documents a trend among twenty-somethings to embrace Reformed theology.

My initial reaction was "oh no!". More on that later. Second reaction was that it makes a certain amount of sense. Young people looking for a more robust theology, something deeper than the inoffensive seeker-driven relevancy of many of the mega-church, have to turn somewhere. Many have turned to history, liturgy, creed and confession. I guess I should not be surprised to see many turn to robust Reformed theology.

The article credits some of the trend to the books and preaching of John Piper. I had opportunity to hear Piper once and found his message on that day to be engaging and appreciated his humble and self-deprecating delivery a nice counterbalance to his obvious intensity. But the article also revived some old ghosts. The author, Collin Hansen recounts his own experience:



"During the weekend when I visited Piper's church, the college group was learning TULIP. The student teacher spent about 30 minutes explaining unconditional election. 'You may never feel the weight, you will never feel the wonder of grace, until you finally relinquish your claim to have any part of your salvation,' he said. 'It's got to be unconditional.'"

I admit I cringe when I hear this language. My son is in the age range and is attending college in St. Paul and has attended Piper's church. TULIP almost cost me my faith, and I worry a bit for him, though we have discussed the issue and he is not entirely unprepared.

You see, I don't claim to have any actual part in my own salvation. I fully accept the notion that salvation is totally dependent on God's graciousness and Christ's sacrifice. I fully accept the biblical words of Jesus that "no man comes to the Father unless the spirit draws him". But I have to wonder why those beliefs have to be incompatable with free will or necessitate a view of God's sovereignty that overrides everything else in His biblically revealed character.

I have appreciated Scot McKnight's series on Post-Calvinism, and resonate with how the study of the book of Hebrews led him away from the Calvinist viewpoint. My own trajectory follows his, over a period of decades. I may have to revisit this issue in future posts.

No comments: