Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Things I Don't Believe

Creeds, declarations, manifestos have been written about many, many things and are usually a positive affirmation of what someone believes.   I think about beliefs when politicians are asked gotcha questions about hot button topics and no question gets more ridicule than suggesting one rejects Darwinism.  

I think it would be wise, when asked about origins, if politicians turned the question around and stated things in a negative way.  

So, if you will, the anti-creed - a statement of things I DO NOT believe.


I don't believe everything spontaneously arose from nothing.

I don't believe order comes from chaos.


I don't believe life comes from non-life.


I don't believe matter, energy, space and time are all there is, therefore I don't believe all natural events must have a natural cause.


I don't believe a detailed, information-rich genetic code was assembled bit by bit from random shuffling, happy accidents and errors.

I don't believe natural selection plus random variation can create new complex and interdependent organ systems and new body plans.


I don't believe human personality arose from an impersonal, mechanistic chain of cause and effect.


I don't believe human freedom can exist if all things are the result of mechanistic cause and effect.


I don't believe meaning, purpose, beauty and truth arose from purposeless and randomness.


I don't believe right and wrong, justice and injustice are mere social constructs that arose out of a survival instinct or that such a utilitarian morality can provide a foundation for a civilized society.


I don't believe rejection of materialism, naturalism and atheism are a sign of intellectual laziness or lack of education.   


I don't believe self-evident truths need to be apologized for.










No comments: